Snapshot Europe 2021
The group then makes the data available through a large collaborative publication, and also uses it to address their own research questions.
Snapshot Europe is in partnership with Snapshot USA and supported by Euromammals https://euromammals.org
Snapshot EU Rules
1) Each collaborator selects one combination of setting (Urban, Suburban, Rural, Wild, Other) and habitat (agricultural areas, artificial non-agricultural vegetated areas i.e. gardens and parks, shrubby vegetation, pastures and natural grassland, forest, open areas i.e. beaches, burnt areas and glaciers, wetland) to focus on when deploying camera traps.
2) Between 7 and 40 camera traps will be deployed across 10 to 50 locations matching the selected setting-habitat combination. The location, start date, end date, and camera make and model for each deployment must be recorded.
Approved cameras are Browning (Strike Force Elite HD, 2017 Strike Force HD Pro, or camera of equal or greater quality), Bushnell (Trophy Cam HD, Essential, Aggressor, or camera of equal or greater quality), Moultrie (M-999I, M-1100i, or camera of equal or greater quality), Primos (Proof Cam 02, Proof Cam 03, or camera of equal or greater quality), Reconyx, (all models), Spypoint (Solar, Force 10, Force 11D, Force GM, or camera of equal or greater quality), and Stealth Cam (G45NP Pro, G42NG, or camera of equal or greater quality), Cuddeback (G model)
3) Cameras should be placed so that they are 50 cm off the ground and with regular orientation.
4) The deployed cameras must be at least 200 meters away from other cameras (but no farther than 5 kilometers).
5) No food bait or scent lure will be used.
6) While cameras can be placed on trails or logging roads, this must be indicated by the collaborator.
7) Once field work is complete, the collaborator will upload images and metadata to Wildlife Insights. Our intent is to have all data uploaded by December 1st and a final report to participants shortly after that time. We encourage collaborators to identify their favorite pictures, so that we can highlight these in this collection.