Job Code: ORNR-S040
Job offer from July 01, 2021
The Max Planck Institute of Animal Behavior at its sites in Konstanz and Radolfzell offers an international, interdisciplinary and collaborative environment that opens up unique research opportunities. The goal of our basic research is to develop a quantitative and predictive understanding of the decisions and movements of animals in their natural environment.
The Max Planck Institute of Animal Behavior would like to fill the position of Head of IT (m/f/d) as soon as possible.
It is a permanent position and the workplace will be in Constance and Radolfzell.
- Organisation and planning of tasks in the assigned areas of responsibility, coordination of processes, controlling and monitoring of task completion and updating of the IT organization
- Personnel management and employee leadership; the position holder is responsible for the service instructions in his/her area and is responsible for the training and continuing education of his/her employees
- Developing appropriate templates, proposals and recommendations in the field of IT. He/she supports and advises the institute on all IT-related issues and implements their scientific guidelines.
- Installation and administration of the Linux server infrastructure and Linux-based storage systems for scientific data
- Ensuring system availability through proactive approach and troubleshooting
- Maintenance and configuration of monitoring systems
- Performance of duties as IT security officer
- Contact person for the system-side installation of "Movebank”
- Trainee instructor for IT-system administrators
- Backup and archiving of scientific data
- Regular installation of security and firmware updates
- Installation and support of our scientists in the operation of Linux-based laboratory and GPU workstations
- Configuration and administration of firewalls and VPN connections
- Configuration and administration of KVM-based virtualization environments
- Support for projects in the scientific field, adaptation of the IT infrastructure to new requirements and management of IT infrastructure projects
- University degree in the field of computer science or a comparable field of study
- Several years of professional experience in the above mentioned areas
- Confident handling and professional experience with Linux operating systems (especially in RHEL, Debian, Ubuntu and SLES)
- Good knowledge of open source software (web server, monitoring software, configuration management, Radius, etc.)
- Very good knowledge in Bash scripting and other interpreter languages
- Experience in implementation and administration of storage systems
- Profound knowledge of networking and firewall, as well as Windows and Mac operating systems
- Very good language skills in German and English, spoken and written
- Interest in the development of new technologies
- Leadership experience
- Flexible, proactive, independent, responsible and solution-oriented thinking and service-oriented work
- Teamwork, communication and cooperation skills, friendly and open-minded appearance.
- Careful, structured and independent working style, good communication skills
- Knowledge in the field of data protection (DSGVO) according to IS0 27001/2 (BSI Grundschutz)
- Beneficial: Training qualification according to AEVO
We offer an interesting job in an open-minded team as well as a responsible and varied activity in a growing interdisciplinary and internationally oriented research institute. The payment is made in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service (TVöD-Bund). In addition, the usual public service benefits are granted.
Questions about this position will be answered by Dr. Mäggi Hieber Ruiz, Head of Scientific Services firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Max Planck Society endeavors to employ more severely challenged persons. Applications of severely challenged persons are expressly welcome. The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
Are you interested? We are looking forward to receiving your application until August 15, 2021.